Re: 2.6.8.1: ip auto-config accepts wrong packages

From: Frank Steiner
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 01:42:24 EST

Hi Mark,

Mark Broadbent wrote:

Stupid question but the MAC addresses on the cards are different aren't
they? Could you also double check that the xid values differ on both
machines, this is shown on the line:

IP-Config: eth0 UP (able=1, xid=07196018)
^^^^^^^^

Both MAC and xid should be different.

obiously, the problem is here. The xid is the same on 5 different hosts
I tested with the debugging-enabled kernel. Looking it ipconfig.c I now
understand that with several hosts using the same xid it must go wrong.
I'm currently compiling a new kernel with debugging enabled in rancom.c
to see what's going wrong here. Looks like random_bytes is returning
the same value on all hosts :-(

Can anyone else maybe do a quick check with "ip=dhcp" on two hosts
just to see if the problem with the identical xids just show up here?

I will send the result of the debugging output from random.c.

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner Web: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/