From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 03:58:45 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

Over the last at least five years we've taken as much as possible
semantics out of the filesystems and into the VFS layer, thus having
a separation between the semantical layer (VFS) and the low level
filesystem. Your attributes are absoultely a VFS thing and as such
should not happen at the filesystem layer, and no, that doesn't mean
they're bad per se, I just think they are a rather bad fit for Linux.

Now this I agree with, in the sense that I think that if we want to support this, it should be supported at a VFS layer.

On the other hand, I think doing it inside the filesystem with ugly hacks

what is ugly? ;-/

is an acceptable way to prototype the idea before it's been proven to really be workable. Maybe it has more problems with legacy apps than we'd expect..

Linus