Re: CD/DVD record

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 04:58:20 EST

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >
> > Actually this is only FUD spread by Joerg. He is definitely not the only
> > man on this planet knowing how to program CD/DVD burning equipment.
>
> Good, glad you have a supply of SCSI gurus who want to dedicate all their
> spare time to maintaining OS software. Joerg has been at this for years,
> and I think that while identifying technically competent people is
> possible, I doubt there's a big overlap with the set of people who have
> nothing better to do with their spare time. When I said "find" I certainly
> meant both qualifications.

Well, please read the docs for cdrecord again carefully. The story is not about
_free_, it is about _money_. Certain versions of cdrecord are licensed to
commercial customers for _money_. So please rethink your position.

> > Generally cdrecord has one big deficiency, which obviously was intended:
> > it does not allow medium skilled programmers from drive _vendors_ to add
> > support for their latest hardware easily. Everyone has to beg Joerg, which
> > obviously increased his ego dramatically over the years.
> > It would be a lot better to start off a new project where vendors (or
> > anybody with skill and will) can contribute more easily, i.e. something
> > that is truely_open_.
>
> A nice idea, but in truth if a vendor wants support in cdrecord a tech ref
> and sample unit will almost certainly do it. I'd love to have support for
> HD_BURN in Linux, but Joerg can't seem to get the info needed. I doubt
> that people who won't release the info will trouble to write the driver.

Well, if I were owner of docs that are important for Joerg to make money and
had listened to him for the past 4 or 5 years and how he treated people (and
still does) it would be highly probable that I wouldn't be very cooperative,
too.
Please see the whole picture, not only what Joerg talks about.
Just take a clear look at his latest code changes and tell me if they look like
being done by an open-minded and friendly person to you.

Speaking from a potential commercial customers' point of view I decided against
using this software, not because of the money, but because of the
closed-everything-and-his-ears habit of the author. I don't see how this
project can survive its current author. Therefore I consider it an already dead
horse.

--
Regards,
Stephan