Re: PROBLEM: page allocation or what in 2.6.8.1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 05:39:26 EST

Harry Edmon <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had another crash on the same system as my message of 23 August:
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address cf0b4e1c

hm. Is the hardware known to be good?

> Before the crash I see messages like the following:
>
> oom-killer: gfp_mask=0xd0

That's because you've enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC. It enormously
increases the size of slab objects, which seems to cause memory reclaim to
blow up. (It shouldn't but it does. It's a low-priority problem though).

It's unlikely that the oom-killing caused the oops, but it's possible I
guess. There's supposed to be a dump_stack() in the out_of_memory() path,
which would help in searching for bugs, but that seems to have got lost.