From: Spam
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 05:52:09 EST

>> > All of which can be handled in userspace library code.
>>
>> > What compelling reason is there for doing this in the kernel?
>>

>> Because having user space tools and code will make it not work with
>> everything. Keeping stuff in the kernel should make the new features
>> transparent to the applications.
>>
>> Applications that support the new features will benefit, all others
>> will continue to work without destroying data.

> Sorry, but that all sounds a bit fluffy. Please provide some examples.

We already had the examples with cp and mv. Both should continue to
work and the files will still be copied. The same with Konqueror and
Nautilus. Files and their meta-files/streams/attributes will be
retained as long as applications are using the OS API.

However, if things are to implemented in user-space, then old
applications will not work correctly and there is risk that all the
extra information will be lost or corrupted.

You said it would be socially hard. I think it would be very much
close to impossible to get it right. Imagine that Gnome and Nautilus
would implement support for these. I doubt that cp, mv, KDE, mc,
app-xyz would implement this anytime soon and in the meantime the
data is at risk.

If we want things to work from the start, including with old
applications then these features should be at below-application
level. If it is in VFS or FS doesn't matter to me, as long as it
doesn't hinder or delay progress to long.