From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:08:24 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
> > All of which can be handled in userspace library code.
> >
> > What compelling reason is there for doing this in the kernel?
>
> There's a compelling reason to do it in userspace. If an
> unaware program copies or moves such a file with streams
> inside, it doesn't break the streams and aware programs will
> continue to see them.
>
> OTOH, if we had the streams in the kernel, unaware applications
> would continuously break the metadata and streams that the
> streams aware programs expect !

You appear not to have read any of my mails on this topic.

Properly implemented metadata can:

(1) operate in both modes simultaneously;
(2) work with unaware applications;
(3) provide performance enhancements to aware applications;
(4) provide storage enhancements to both;
(5) provide useful features that work with standard unmodified unix tools,

all at once. That includes program copies.

-- Jamie