From: Christophe Saout
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 12:09:48 EST

Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 12:32 -0400 schrieb Will Dyson:

> > Andrew, we need to compete with WinFS and Dominic Giampaolo's filesystem
> > for Apple, and that means we need to put search engine and database
> > functionality into the filesystem. It takes 11 years of serious
>
> I'm very curious about your ideas on how to put search engine and
> database functionality into the filesystem.

I could imagine something like this.

There are some special folders or files or whatever under every file
where some userspace can put some metadata. A keyword perhaps.

echo linux > file.bla/keywords/topic

The filesystem might then automatically put these keywords into an index
and then provide a search mechanism elsewhere where it could ask "find
me all dentries with the keyword 'linux'." and it would return a list
like locate does. Only that it's in realtime and also works when moving
the file around (but not when copying with an unaware program for
obvious reasons).