From: Will Dyson
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 12:59:54 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:

Andrew, we need to compete with WinFS and Dominic Giampaolo's filesystem for Apple, and that means we need to put search engine and database functionality into the filesystem. It takes 11 years of serious

Hans,

I'm very curious about your ideas on how to put search engine and database functionality into the filesystem. Although I've let the Befs filesystem driver largely stagnate over the past two years, from time to time I think about the problem of exporting to userspace the attribute indexes that BeFS keeps on disk.

In the original BeOS, they solved the problem by having the filesystem driver itself take a text query string and parse it, returning a list of inodes that match. The whole business of parsing a query string in the kernel (let alone in the filesystem driver) has always seemed ugly to me. However, the best alternative I've come up with is to simply export the index data as a special file (perhaps in sysfs?) and have userspace responsible for searching the index. That would probably work, but it wouldn't help other filesystems that implement even a different index format, much less a different form of extra searchability.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman