From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 14:04:00 EST

On Thursday 26 August 2004 20:57, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > So all I need to do is "cat /bin | gzip -9 > /path/to/backup.tar.gz" ?
> >
> > No no. The stream you get from a directory is totally _independent_ of
> > the contents of the directory. Anything else would be pointless.
>
> It's a relief to know that nobody's taking my humorous
> suggestion seriously, but now we still have the "standard
> Unix tools can't manipulate files" problem...

Is it possible to sufficiently hide "dirs inside files"
so that old tools will be unable to see them?

I just checked:

ls -d /foo does lstat64("/foo", ...)
ls -d /foo/ does lstat64("/foo", ...)
but
ls -d /foo/. does lstat64("/foo/.", ...)

Will it work out if "dir inside file" will only be visible when referred as "file/."?
--
vda