Re: [some sanity for a change] possible design issues for hybrids

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 19:14:15 EST

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:24:51PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So basically: the "d_mounted++" just makes sure we get into
> > "lookup_mnt()". That's where we will usually find the actual mount thing.
> >
> > And that's also where the special case comes in: if we _don't_ find the
> > mount thing there, that's where we need to create it. That will only
> > happen if somebody looks it up using another namespace, though, so it
> > should be rare.
>
> No. Trivial example:
>
> mount --bind /foo /bar
> mount /dev/sda1 /bar/baz
>
> do lookup for /foo/baz. No namespaces involved, no vfsmounts found, d_mounted
> positive and we certainly do *not* want anything to be created at that point.

Right. We obviously need to mark the dentry somehow, and only do the
"create vfsmount" special case in this special case. If we didn't do that,
then it wouldn't be a special case, now would it?

So clearly lookup_mnt() needs to check the dentry in the failure case. The
marking could be in any of three places
- mark the dentry itself by just using a dentry flag ("DCACHE_AUTOVFSMNT")
or by having a dentry operation for this.
- mark the inode itself (same logic as dentry)
- look up the first vfsmount (on the inode list), and look if that one is
of the automatic type.

Clearly we should not _always_ create a vfsmount, that would just break
the existign logic.

Linus