help with cleanup of pages mapped to userspace

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 10:48:47 EST

I would like to have a page of memory accessable from both kernel space and userspace. Ideally it would be nice to have the page allocated from the kernel address space so as to be able to use pte_offset_kernel() rather than pte_offset_map().

It has been suggested that we could do something like:

mypage = __get_free_page(GFP_KERNEL);
SetPageReserved(virt_to_page(mypage));
remap_page_range(vma->vm_start, virt_to_phys((void *) mypage), PAGE_SIZE, vma->vm_page_prot);

When the task dies, how much cleanup will be done on the page? Does the memory subsystem handle everything, or do I need to explicitly do something like:

reservedClearPageReserved(virt_to_page(mypage));
free_page(mypage);

Is there a better way of doing this? I had considered mmap(), but I think that could give me pages with their page tables up in high memory, necessitating the use of pte_offset_map().

Thanks,

Chris