Re: Summarizing the PWC driver questions/answers

From: Wouter Van Hemel
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 17:00:08 EST

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Ian Romanick wrote:

Very constructive. If you would use this zealotry energy in getting results from Philips, we might not be here arguing. I get the feeling some seem to think of the removal of this popular driver as a *contribution* to Linux. This attitude contributes nothing to Linux. If you don't like a partially binary driver, then I suggest you, too, contact Philips instead of turning on your own users and contributors, or fighting with driver maintainers that simply can't change the world to fit your wishes. We are all in this mess, we all want good working drivers, preferably opensource.

You've got things a little out of perspective.

1. Linux does not serve Philips.
2. Philips does not serve Linux.

Can we agree on that much?

Sure.

[...]
Further bickering about it here is an exercise in futility.

True. That's why I suggested that every developer who want this driver removed, also stays true in their dedication for open drivers, delivers some *constructive* action and emails Philips or whatever company of the day that needs some convincing. Not just shooting down what you don't like and being impossibly hard to people like Nemosoft who are caught between two fires. If you care about opensource, equally much time would be spent in (1) giving a minimal try to get it opensource, and (2) having a constructive dialog with the maintainer. It can't take more time than having these fights, can it?