From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 21:12:19 EST

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Thing is, there is no way to distinguish between what are
> virtual files and what are actual streams hidden inside a
> file. You don't know what should and shouldn't be backed
> up...

I think that lack of distinguishing poiwer is more serious for
directories. The more I think I think about it, the more I wonder whether
Solaris did things right - having a special operation to "cross the
boundary".

I suspect Solaris did it that way because it's a hell of a lot easier to
do it like that, but regardless, it would solve the issue of real
directories having both real children _and_ the "extra streams".

Linus