Re: [bk pull] DRM tree - stop i830/i915 in kernel

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 07:02:51 EST

> It just disables to have both builtin, no both modular. So it shouldn't
> be a problem for you, but I wonder what the point is..

they both work with the exact same hardware, when X starts up it traverses
the loaded DRMs asking for them by PCI ID, as both these drivers live on
the same set of PCIIDs (well the 915 has some new ones), X doesn't know
how to distinguish between them, so it picks the first one that says that
PCI ID is me, and in X.org with the i915 it picks the i830 driver and it
gets a bit shirty..

I suppose Tungsten Graphics could have done something extra (the famous
layer of indirection type stuff) but believed a clean breaak was best...

This patch just stops people shooting themselves in the foot ....

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied@xxxxxxxx