Re: 1GB/2GB/3GB User Space Splitting Patch 2.6.8.1 (PSEUDO SPAM)

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 11:44:20 EST

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 01:48:14PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Lots of Linux configuration options build you systems that don't meet
> some specifications. "Intentionally violate a stupid spec to get work
> done" is a good option 8)

The big nasty is that userspace has very little to go on here. We need
to report the limits of the address space somewhere for this kind of
affair and probably even hammer out our own addenda to ABI specs so
instead of SVR4 $ARCH/ELF ABI spec we have a Linux $ARCH/ELF ABI spec.
I see no one so motivated to make backward-incompatible ABI changes
that they are willing to do that kind of work.

-- wli