Re: Fw: x86 build issue with software suspend code

From: Jan Beulich
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 01:58:52 EST

>> A piece of code most like "copy-and-paste"d from x86_64 to i386
caused
>> the section named .data.nosave in arch/i386/power/swsusp.S to
become
>> named .data.nosave.1 in arch/i386/power/built-in.o (due to an
attribute
>> collision with an identically named section from
>> arch/i386/power/cpu.c),
>
>I can't find anything about nosave section in cpu.c... Can you quote
it?

Ah, I see. This is the only piece I didn't double-check against the
2.6.8.1 sources (I found the problem originally in the SuSE 2.6.5
derivate, where the kernel.org version didn't have swsusp_pg_dir at all,
yet), and indeed in the kernel.org version swsusp_pg_dir lives in
arch/i386/mm/init.c (one might argue which of the placements is the
better one).

Still, to prevent issues in the future as well as such like seen with
SuSE, the patch seems necessary to me.

Thanks, Jan