Re: [patch] libata: add ioctls to support SMART

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:52:01 EST

Brad Campbell wrote:
John W. Linville wrote:

Support for HDIO_DRIVE_CMD and HDIO_DRIVE_TASK in libata. Useful for
supporting SMART w/ unmodified smartctl and smartd userland binaries.

Not happy w/ loop after failed ata_qc_new_init(), but needed because smartctl
and smartd did not retry after failure. Likely need an option to wait for
available qc? Also not sure all the error return codes are correct...

YYYYYYYYYYEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

I know it's a bit kludgy and does not really fit the philosophy of libata but it works and it lets me keep an eye on my drives *now*.

Although just for good measure I'll probably unmount and stop my raid arrays before I use it on the disks. Whats it like for locking on a busy system?

I wouldn't trust it on a busy system yet -- it submits the command to the device without checking if there is a command already outstanding.

The patch could _definitely_ corrupt data or lock your hardware, since it bypasses the SCSI mechanism that ensures that only one command is executing at a time.

Jeff