From: Paul Stewart
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:56:20 EST

On 2004.08.27 23:08, Paul Jackson wrote:
Hans wrote:
> We create filename/pseudos/backup, and that tells the archiver what > to do.....

Instead of exposing the old semantics under a new interface, why not
expose the new semantics under a new interface.

Here's another take on the same theme. To see attrs on files, one can either use a newly developed application which can use special new syscalls/flags on syscalls a Paul Jackson recommends. However from an old shell or application one can also open the attribute node on
/home/myself/foo.txt by checking out /attr/home/myself/foo.txt/, which points to the "as directory" node on the filesystem that foo.txt points to.

The strange part of this idea is that the /attr filesystem wouldn't be conventionally browsable. An opendir() on any path would return the attributes, not the subdirectory contents, even if the target was a conventional directory. File based operations (open(), unlink(), etc) would operate on the "as directory" node of the dirname() of the file argument. The /attr filesystem would be completely virtual, honoring the permissions, crossing filesystems, and inheriting the root directory of the calling process.

Just a thought from a Linux fs layman -- certainly one of the Reiser unwashed masses.

--
Paul