Re: [patch] libata: add ioctls to support SMART

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 13:08:53 EST

Andy Warner wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

[...]
That implies, then, that you would add code to libata-scsi.c that translates the ATA-passthru SCSI command into an ATA command using the ata_scsi_translate() infrastructure.

Speaking of which - I'm working on this and want to find like
minded people playing in the libata-scsi.c/04-262r<n>.pdf
sandbox, and collaborate with them.

If you're one of these people, ping me off list and we
can pool our efforts.

I am trying convince someone to do it for me, since I'm working on new controller support ATM ;-)

It shouldn't be hard -- just a new function "ata_scsi_passthru_xlat" that translates the 04-262r<n>.pdf opcode into struct ata_taskfile. That's all that's needed for Step One.

John mentioned he might look at it... but why don't you guys (and everyone else interested) just work publicly on linux-ide? Share the knowledge and patches :)

Jeff