Re: Userspace file systems

From: Luca Ferroni
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 06:17:18 EST

Il Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:01:58 +0200, Tonnerre <tonnerre@xxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Uh, what about enhancing lufs code in this regard and porting all fs'es to it?

I think that porting all file systems to LUFS is a mad idea :),
but providing a facility in the kernel for user-space file system
implementations could be great.

I am working on PackageFS (http://packagefs.sourceforge.net)
which is an user-space file system to manage packages:
it relies on LUFS, but I plan to port it soon to FUSE ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf)
that, at present, is maintained by Miklos Szeredi and works with latest kernels.

PackageFS relies also on existent package managers, it will be transparent to all
package formats. I. e.: you can install a package by copying,
and see package informations by a simple cat.
Now it works only in Debian distro, and it is far from complete (it is 0.09 version :) ).

So, what do you think about including a kernel module to make a user able
to develop, install and use an user-space file system ?

Maybe Miklos Szeredi will write more details about FUSE which is the interesting part
for kernel inclusion.

Bye
Luca