Re: 3ware queue depth [was: Re: HIGHMEM4G config for 1GB RAM on desktop?]

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 05:16:49 EST

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:58:55AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> On 2004.09.01 11:33, Matt Heler wrote:
> >
> > I have a 3ware 7000-2 card. And I noticed the same problem.
> >
> > Actually what I just did now was change the max luns from 254 to 64.
> > Recompiled and booted up. This seems to fix all my problems, and the speed
> > seems to be quite faster then before.
>
> Yes, that is because the queue_depth parameter gets set from
> TW_MAX_CMDS_PER_LUN by the 3w-xxxx.c driver ...
>
> I found the 3ware patch. The patch below makes the queue depth
> an optional module parameter, makes sure that the initial
> nr_requests is twice the size of the queue_depth, and
> makes queue_depth writable for the 3ware driver.

- the writeable queue_depth sysfs attr is fine,
- the reverse_scan option is vetoed because it can't be supported when
the driver will be converted to the pci_driver interface (soon)
- I'm not so sure about the module parameter, what's the problem of beeing
able to only change the queue depth once sysfs is mounted?