Re: kbuild: Support LOCALVERSION

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 08:53:21 EST

On Tue, 2004-08-31 21:26:43 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040831192642.GA15855@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The following patch combines the request from several people.
> If you place a file named localversion* in the root of your
> soruce tree or the root of your output tree the text included in this
> file will be appended to KERNELRELEASE.
>
> LOCALVERSION was originally introduced by Ian Wienand <ianw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> This allows one to put a short string in localversion identifying this
> particular configuration "-smpacpi", or to identify applied patches
> to the source "-llat-np".
>
> More specifically:
> $(srctree)/localversion-lowlatency contains "-llat"
> $(srctree)/localversion-scheduler-nick constins "-np"
>
> $(objtree)/localversion contains "-smpacpi"
>
> Resulting KERNELRELEASE would be:
> 2.6.8.rc1-smpacpi-llat-np

Basically: I love it. Maybe it would also be good (in the longer term)
to introduce a config name into one of the Kconfig files, which is
preserved in the .config file (eg. SuSE does something like that and
even while I'm not a SuSE user, it's really dandy at some times, esp.
for things like "SMP-4GB", "VAX-KA4x" and the like). It's basically like
adding the defconfig_* name to some of the variables :-)

MfG, JBG
PS: When will the package support show up?

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O