Re: page fault scalability patch final : i386 tested, x86_64 support added

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 13:08:40 EST

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:39:54PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> And we need larger atomic types _anyway_ for page->_count. An unprivileged
> app can mmap the same page 4G times and can then munmap it once. Do it on
> purpose and it's a security hole. Due it by accident and it's a crash.

Sure, but the same kind of app can also do this on 32-bit architectures.
Assuming there's only 2.5GB of address space available per process,
you'd need 1638 cooperating processes to do it. OK, that's a lot but
the lowest limit I can spy on a quick poll of multiuser boxes I have a
login on is 3064. Most are above 10,000 (poll sample includes Debian,
RHAS and Fedora).

I think it would be better to check for overflow of the atomic_t (atomic_t
is signed) in the mmap routines. Then kill the process that caused the
overflow. OK, this is a local denial-of-service if someone does it to
glibc, but at least the admin should be able to reboot the box.