Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk4-Q5

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 01:34:33 EST

* Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx <Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In 2.4, it appears that the duration of the write system call is
> basically fixed and dependent on the duration of the audio fragment.
> In 2.6, this behavior is now different. If I look at the chart in
> detail, it appears the system is queueing up several write operations
> during the first few seconds of testing. You can see this by
> consistently low elapsed times for the write system call. Then the
> elapsed time for the write bounces up / down in a sawtooth pattern
> over a 1 msec range. Could someone explain the cause of this new
> behavior and if there is a setting to restore the old behavior? I am
> concerned that this queueing adds latency to audio operations (when
> trying to synchronize audio with other real time behavior).

i think i found the reason for the sawtooth: it's a bug in hardirq
redirection. In certain situations we can end up not waking up softirqd,
resulting in a random 0-1msec latency between hardirq arrival and
softirq execution. We dont see higher latencies because timer IRQs
always wake up softirqd which hides the bug to a certain degree.

I'll fix this in -Q8.

Ingo