From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 06:01:16 EST

On Mer, 2004-09-01 at 21:26, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Right now no, because when Samba refuses the stream open, Word falls
> back into a "tar"-like mode where it linearises the streams into the
> data (it's a legacy mode for storing data on a FAT drive, not an NTFS
> drive). However, the problem is that no currently supported Microsoft
> OS doesn't have streams-capable NTFS support.

That implies that samba can do the same transform set without kernel
help and you'd even get the advantages of being able to transfer the
stuff around sanely afterwards.

What I don't understand is the tie between Linux having such streams and
Windows doing it for Samba to work. Netatalk has always handle this for
Macintosh and portably. Presumably any Samba support would need to
handle OS's without wacky files for portability too ?