Re: [2.6 patch] kill __always_inline

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 14:48:32 EST

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:39:14PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.

> > Excuse me if I'm being ignorant, but I thought always_inline was
> > introduced because with some recent versions of gcc, inline wasn't doing
> > the job (suspend2, which requires a working inline, was broken by it for
> > example).
>
> IIRC, the compiler was generating out-of-line versions of functions in
> every compilation unit whcih included the header file. When we the
> developers just wanted `inline' to mean `inline, dammit'.

`inline, dammit' is
__attribute__((always_inline))

The original `inline' never guarantees that the function will be
inlined.

Therefore, `inline' is already #define'd in the Linux kernel to always
be __attribute__((always_inline)).

> If that broke swsusp in some manner then the relevant swsusp functions
> should be marked always_inline, because they have some special needs.
>
> > That is to say, doesn't the definition of always_inline vary
> > with the compiler version?
>
> If the compiler supports attribute((always_inline)) then the kernel build
> system will use that. If the compiler doesn't support
> attribute((always_inline)) then we just emit `inline' from cpp and hope
> that it works out.

That's exactly how `inline' is already #define'd in the Linux kernel.

And __always_inline is currently simply #define'd to `inline' ...

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed