Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 20:32:16 EST

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:43:34 CDT, David Masover said:

> And on apps. Should I teach OpenOffice.org to do version control?
> Seems a lot easier to just do it in the kernel, and teach everything to
> do version control in one fell swoop.

Including files you didn't really want to keep version control of?

How many temp files does gcc create and unlink in the course of a kernel build?
(And remember, you can't say "don't enable that on /tmp" - gcc respects the
setting of $TMPDIR - so an 'export TMPDIR=~/tmp' confuses things quite
nicely...)

And it's hard for the kernel to know that an unlink() done by gcc should be
treated differently than the "recover the last version" you *want* it do be able
to do after you work on a source file for a long while, save it, and then
fumble-finger a 'rm * .o' - you can't even use a heuristic like "don't version
control it unless it's N seconds or more old"

(Note that the "obvious" solution of creating a chattr flag has its own
complexity issues - should versioning be turned on by default for some types
and not others, etc...)

There be dragons here - it's not as simple as "drop in a plugin and be happy".