Re: buildin a RAID5 md vith 6 drives

From: Neil Brown
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 22:52:38 EST

On Friday September 3, jamagallon@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I tried to build a RAID5 array with 6 drivres, just with:
> Why does it think a drive has been removed, and the last drive is a spare ?
> Isn't raid5 symmetric over all drives ?

Read
man mdadm
the section on "CREATE MODE", the last paragraph before the "General
Management options" are listed. Be sure that you have mdadm 1.4.0 or
later.

NeilBrown

[ the paragraph reads:
When creating a RAID5 array, mdadm will automatically create a degraded
array with an extra spare drive. This is because building the spare
into a degraded array is in general faster than resyncing the parity on
a non-degraded, but not clean, array. This feature can be over-ridden
with the --force option.
if you remove the "-I" that really shoudn't be there... :-(
]