From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 03:58:08 EST

Grzegorz JaÅkiewicz wrote:

devfs was very natural, and simple solution. But to have it right, it
would have to be the only /dev filesystem.
But no, we like choices, so we have chaos. Udev is just another thing adding to that chaos.

Someone was numbering things that are good in BSD design, in that
thread. One of those things was going for devfs. No cheap solutions.
One fs for /dev. And it works great.

Sorry for bit of trolling.

Devfs was a ver good idea. The implementation of it
was a problem, and after some time nobody maintained it.
No surprise it had to go. Now udev+tmpfs can do the same
job, and more.

Helge Hafting