Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 08:17:37 EST

David Masover <ninja@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Chris Dukes wrote:
> | On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:28:20PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> |
> |>So implement a plugin which knows how to talk to a userland program
> |>which knows about metadata. The plugin controls access to file-type.
> |>
> |>Maybe there ought to be a general-purpose userland plugin interface? So
> |>that the only things left in the kernel are things that have to be there
> |>for speed and/or sanity reasons? (Things like cryptocompress and
> |>standard file/directory plugins.)
> |

> | Ahem,
> | Wasn't this the goal of GNU HURD?

> The goal of GNU HURD was to take everything out of the kernel and make
> it entirely daemons. That's a far cry from keeping a file-type database
> (historically the realm of file managers) out of the kernel.

Yep. Traditional microkernel.

[...]

> | I really think you should ask them why they haven't delivered
> | something useful, then come back to this thread.

> Honestly? I think it's mostly got nothing to do with architecture. I
> think it's mostly got to do with politics. Most people would rather
> hack on Linux, which is already done, than try to develop HURD, which is
> something new. Most people also enjoy working with Linus (or prefer
> Linus to the FSF).

Partly right. Hurd is _much_ older than Linux, and didn't start from
scratch (Mach was around, and worked). Yet I remember hearing "any day now"
for Hurd from 86 or 87... and as of now, AFAIU even the people hacking on
Hurd prefer Linux (because Linux does work, Hurd doesn't).

> I do not like how Linux is monolithic. I do not like having to reboot
> to upgrade the kernel,

Tough luck. An upgrade of the core will _always_ mean rebooting. Plus you
can replace modules in Linux without a reboot.

> and I do not like having to run closed software
> (the nvidia drivers) in the kernel (as in, full privelages, can crash
> entire system, yadda yadda).

Me neither. But that is not exactly Linux' fault, binary drivers are quite
strongly discouraged.

> But Linux is the best we have.

By far.

> The HURD people have delivered at least something. I think there's even
> a Debian/HURD distro. Whether it's useful probably has to do with
> whether it's stable/fast, which isn't likely. You hear of Linux news
> every day, you hear of HURD maybe once in a lifetime -- "Hey, HURD
> exists!"

It is still vaporware, some 20 years later.