Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silentsemantic changes with reiser4)

From: Paul Jakma
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 11:52:40 EST

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Spam wrote:

Indeed. I hope I didn't say otherwise :).

Sure.

Just that I think it will
be very difficult to have this transparency in all apps. Just
thinking of "nano file.jpg/description.txt" or "ls
file.tar/untar/*.doc". Sure in some environments like Gnome it could
work, but it still doesn't for the rest of the flora of Linux
programs.

"will it be transparent for all apps?", whether that's worth doing depends on the technical implications. Thankfully we have Al and Linus to make the judgement call on that ;)

Personally, I think that if GNOME can provide transparency for GNOME users, I think that's probably enough - unless there are literally no issues in adding some kind of VFS support.

The nano / ls /tar user is likely a very different user to the GNOME user. That user is also likely to appreciate the problems with backups and such more.

Anyway, userspace transparency is sufficient for most classes of users. Only reason to provide some kernel support is if it makes sense ("but not all apps can use GNOME transparency" not being one of those reasons).

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@xxxxxxxx paul@xxxxxxxxx Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: