Re: Crashed Drive, libata wedges when trying to recover data

From: Greg Stark
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 13:05:33 EST

Eric Mudama <edmudama@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Boom, you're deadlocked. This means that in SATA, the only way to overcome
> this deadlock in the driver is to have the host/board generate a COMRESET
> OOB burst to hard-reset the drive.

So now I'm wondering if there's a way to coerce the libata drivers to generate
this?

> Today's (and tomorrow's) generation of SATA drives will never ever
> generate a 0x59 status... the error and DRQ bits become mutually
> exclusive. However, unfortunately, there are quite a few drives in
> the field which have this behavior...

I read somewhere that the current generation of SATA drives from everyone
except Seagate were really PATA with a "bridge". It sounded like BS to me, but
is that why they're behaving like PATA drives as far as these error codes? Or
is it simply a question of the shared firmware codebase?

--
greg