Re: TG3 doesn't work in kernel 2.4.27 (David S. Miller)

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 15:33:17 EST

Paul> I tried this patch alone on top of 2.6.9-rc1 and tg3 is
Paul> still broken for me on JS20 blades. Was there another patch
Paul> I should have applied in conjunction with this?

Me too -- I copied the latest BK tg3.c/tg3.h to my 2.6.8.1 tree and
tried it on my JS20 and it didn't work. Unfortunately the JS20 blade
only has serial-over-LAN for the console, which also dies as soon as
tg3 gets loaded, so I'm not sure exactly what happened.

Mike> Is this with or without autonegotiation enabled on the switch?

I believe that the internal ports of the BladeCenter switch are always
locked to full-duplex gigabit operation (ie no autoneg). In the
switch management GUI, there is a pull-down menu for setting
Speed/Duplex of external ports, but for internal ports to the blades,
there is no menu (just a hard-coded display of 1000/Full).

Thanks,
Roland