Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 02:54:49 EST

> We're going to have to work out a GPL/BSD solution for the fbdev
> merge. There are 80,000 lines of code in the fbdev directory. It is
> impractical to rewrite them. It's probably also impractical to
> relicense the fbdev code BSD since we would have to locate all of the
> coders.

Well I've been thinking we'll need to rob a lot of code from X11, a fair
bit of code in fbdev is taken from X anyways.. I'm not so sure it
wouldn't be that hard to move the rest...

>From what I can see we make the core in-kernel and library sections under
BSD and then the driver can probably choose their license... I just think
this work is pretty ugly work and I would hate for another OS to have to
go do it again from scratch just because we decided to use GPL, I would
also like to make the interface as standard as possible.. (maybe ReactOS
could port it to Windows :-)

> Would this work? drm/shared and drm/bsd directories are BSD licensed.
> drm/linux is GPL licensed. Any fbdev code I add will go into
> drm/linux. Then we patch up drm/bsd so that is continues to work given

All the current code is X licensed, I think we should try and get code
from X where we can and if not maybe ask fb people about it ..

> The code is starting to drift further from BSD anyway. BSD is missing
> major OS features like hotplug and resource control that Linux DRM is
> starting to use.

But the future isn't set in stone, if BSD gets these features this
statement is insigificant...

> The only rational way we can fix the multiple drivers for the same
> video card is to merge fbdev and DRM functions. The other solution is
> device driver multi-tasking with a 256MB state to be saved on task
> swap.

For the cards the DRM supports, we could just reimplement the fb
functionality, the only card I'm aware of that really matters is the
radeon, there is no fbdev for i830/915 (I'm going to do one under the BSD
license when time permits, Dave Dawes did one half in half, part GPL part
BS but it was for 2.4 and he's abandoned it now .. the mach64 fb doesn't
work very well (my mobility chip craps it out..).. maybe the matrox is
another useful one, we probably should work on a dmacon interface rather
than fbcon, again this isn't obvious yet what we do...

Dave.