Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Keith Whitwell
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 12:48:44 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:52:35 +0100, Keith Whitwell
<keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Currently we have to perform two merges and three releases to get a driver to
a users:

Merge DRM CVS --> LK
Release stable kernel --> Picked up by vendor
Release stable Mesa 3D
Merge Mesa 3D --> X.org
Release stable X.org --> Picked up by vendor

X on GL will make this process faster

Merge DRM CVS --> LK
Release stable kernel --> Picked up by vendor
Release stable Mesa 3D --> Picked up by vendor
Release stable X.org --> Picked up by vendor

If DRM went into a kernel development model....

Release stable kernel --> Picked up by vendor
Release stable Mesa 3D --> Picked up by vendor
Release stable X.org --> Picked up by vendor

This is the fastest model. Merges have been eliminated.

Yep. Right now, I think it's really the Mesa/Xorg side that needs work and is the "critical path". If we can convince/educate the distros to take 3D drivers from Mesa, that will be a good step in the right direction.

You may think that X on GL (gnuLonghorn) is a crazy idea. But
comptetive pressures from the Mac and Longhhorn will force us into
doing it so or later. I'd rather do it sooner.

Not a crazy idea at all, plus I like the name. But a fork could help relieve the tension between trying to maintain a stable DRM and the sorts of stuff that you need to do to move to the next level. And I recognize that I get grumpy when it sounds like existing functionality is threatened by your desire to push off in a certain technical direction. If gnuLonghorn/DRM makes a friendly/development fork off the existing DRM, things might go a little smoother.

Keith