Re: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 21:44:20 EST

Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Tim Fairchild <tim@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

[...]

> > Users don't really care about open and closed source. They just want
> > to play quake 3 (etc).

> I have never understood why these people don't just run Windows.

Some run Linux because it _works_, and also want to play.

> I have
> also never understood why people make so much noise about having to use
> a closed source driver to play A CLOSED SOURCE GAME! What's next, a
> petition to open the UT2004 source? Sheesh...

8-D

> > I've never had an oops that was specifically caused by the nvidia
> > module, tho I suppose it does happen.

> And I have never seen one either.

How do you know?

> I am just using the OOPS'es as an
> indication of how many Linux users use this driver.

How do you know the OOPSes aren't caused (indirectly) by nVidia? Sure, the
incidence seems to have gone down, and perhaps lusers have learnt not to
post OOPSes for tainted kernels...

> It's WAY more than
> I expected.

Now you confuse me... you see _many_ OOPSes with nVidia, but know for
_sure_ nVidia has nothing to do with it?

> The open source nv.o module works fine for me, I don't see
> how the 2D would need to be faster, or how you would even tell the
> difference.

Try using a 1280x800 screen (wide notebook screen, as on Toshiba M30), nv
says that is incorrect and gives you a (very distorted) 1024x768. Up to
here, the binary module is the only way out for me (and I don't care for 3D
or high-performance 2D).

> I suspect many of these users are ricers who tweak CFLAGS and compare
> benchmark scores all day, and cannot bear to use the open source driver
> if it will make their machine 1% slower. I was surprised to find that
> apparently there are open source ATI 3D drivers after all but some
> people are petitioning ATI anyway because these 'aren't as good' as the
> binary ones. So fix it already, this is open source, and if you can't,
> then please learn to write code or STFU.

Right.