Re: [OT] NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 22:33:41 EST

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 22:03, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > > I've never had an oops that was specifically caused by the nvidia
> > > module, tho I suppose it does happen.
>
> > And I have never seen one either.
>
> How do you know?

I don't know for sure. In the past week or two I saw two
OOPS-with-tainted-kernel posts, and in both cases the user was able to
reproduce the problem with an untainted kernel. But that was not my
point, I should have used a better example.

> > I am just using the OOPS'es as an
> > indication of how many Linux users use this driver.
>
> How do you know the OOPSes aren't caused (indirectly) by nVidia?

I don't, see above. But, this is offtopic.

> Sure, the
> incidence seems to have gone down, and perhaps lusers have learnt not to
> post OOPSes for tainted kernels...

Eh, I wouldn't call them lusers, posting an OOPS is complicated for a
non-geek, you can't expect everyone to get it 100% right the first time.

> > It's WAY more than
> > I expected.
>
> Now you confuse me... you see _many_ OOPSes with nVidia, but know for
> _sure_ nVidia has nothing to do with it?

I meant that the number of people using the nvidia driver was way more
than I would have thought. There are a *lot* of people gaming on Linux
these days, I had no idea. This is great.

Lee