From: Spam
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 07:29:34 EST

> Salut,

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:16:35PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Thats how you get yourself a non useful OS. Fix it in a library and
>> share it between the apps that care. Like say.. gnome-vfs2

> Even KIOslave has it. They even support sftp and stuff just by using
> shared files in /tmp in reality. That's a much saner interface than
> doing it all in the kernel.

> I mean, the kernel is supposed to support access to the disk
> drives. Who says that it's got to be the uppermost VFS level? You can
> be perfectly happy to build your own VFS on top of it (or use other's
> implementations, that is.)

Yes, we have several VFS versions. KDE and Gnome has their own, mc
another, and so on. None is compatible with the other and all data
is unavailable if you do not use a program specifically coded to use
the particular VFS you stored the data with.

> I can already see people moving to FreeBSD if this gets implemented
> into the kernel...

Why? No one has to use it. you do not have to load FS/VFS plugins so
you can extend the functionality of your filesystem with stuff like
compression, encryption, sorting, filtering, etc etc..