Re: Scheduler experiences

From: Piotr Neuman
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 07:50:27 EST

> Hey, i wonder which scheduler you people have the best experiences with,
> staircase or nicksched?

I'm using staircase exclusively, but I did compare it to vanilla kernel's
scheduler and yes the interactivity is very good (I'm running x.org and KDE
3.2.3 here).

I have had no sound skips or tvtime problems no matter what kind of disk IO
was being done, which includes MySQL database updates, cron scripts (running
rpm -V on all packages) and wwwoffle purging cached files (note I use the
default as IO sched). Also kernel compilation is no threat to interactivity
with staircase.

I'm a Mandrake user and since the release of Mandrake 10 it does not renice X
server to higher priority so I guess Nick's scheduler would force me to tweak
X startup script.

The other things I like about staircase are that it gives you kernel.compute
and kernel.interactive sysctls that allow to perform serious computational
tasks with it. Also ability to use scheduling policies with schedtool is a
great plus, for example using SCHED_BATCH for cpu bound applications like
seti@home or folding@home.

Overall staircase has been a great experience for me.

Regards

Piotr Neuman