Re: Intel ICH - sound/pci/intel8x0.c

From: Matthieu Castet
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:51:08 EST

On Sul, 2004-09-05 at 03:43, Jon Smirl wrote:
> The joystick PCI ID table in intel8x0.c is not correct. Joysticks and
> MIDI ports are ISA devices and need be located by manual probing. This
> ID table needs to be removed. Joystick and MIDI ports do not have PCI
> IDs.

I agree, that was I explain in a previous post
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109420281830288&w=2)
see the PS.

> It isn't that simple. The LPC bridge also contains the controls for
> the
> joystick ports. You also need them for hotplug handling of the bridge
> should someone stick one in a laptop docking station. The ID table
> also
> ensures the driver is loaded. It's probably true that it will need
> splitting up a bit if another driver also needs ownership of the LPC
> bridge but for now that hasn't happened.

Not for jostick and midi stuff you have to use pnp bus.
On my computer it works well :
I have removed the support of MIDI and GAMEPORT in alsa driver.
The gameport is handle with ns558
The midi device with a mpu401_pnp I post on the alsa mailling list
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5468125&forum_id=1751)
For that it work well you need a pnpbios patch
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109411306024720&w=2) or
even try to use my pnpacpi patch
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109430451522335&w=2)
And the isapnp hotplug script auto load the right module...

Regards,
Matthieu