Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 19:03:20 EST

On Sul, 2004-09-05 at 23:11, Jon Smirl wrote:
> What is the advantage to continuing a development model where two
> groups of programmers work independently, with little coordination on
> two separate code bases trying to simultaneously control the same
> piece of hardware? This is a continuous source of problems. Why can't
> we fix the development model to stop this?

I don't see that as much of a problem. The mess arises from some simple
lacks in the objects in kernel and the methods required to co-ordinate.
Lots of drivers are written by a lot of people in the kernel and they
work just fine. The ext3 authors don't spend their lives co-ordinating
with SCSI driver authors, they just get the API right.