Re: swapping and the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

From: Ray Bryant
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 16:21:09 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

That being said, your tests are interesting. There's a wide spread of
results across different kernel versions and across different swappiness
settings. But the question is: which behaviour is correct for your users,
and why?

Andrew,

Behavior more like that of 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 is what we would like to see, I think. We have had problems in the past with a single large HPC application that runs for a long time then wants to push its data out quickly. What happens to us in 2.4.21 is that the page cache pages swap out the user pages, and that is somethine we would like to avoid, since it can reduce the data
rate significantly.

We were planning on suggesting that such users set swappiness=0 to give
user pages priority over the page cache pages. But it doesn't look like that works very well in the more recent kernels.

One (perhaps) desirable feature would be for intermediate values of swappiness to have behavior in between the two extremes (mapped pages have higher priority vs page cache pages having priority over unreferenced mapped pages),
so that one would have finer grain control over the amount of swap used. I'm not sure how to achieve such a goal, however. :-)

On a separate issue, the response to my proposal for a mempolicy to control
allocation of page cache pages has been <ahem> underwhelming.

(See: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=109416852113561&w=2
and http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=109416852416997&w=2 )

I wonder if this is because I just posted it to linux-mm or its not fleshed out enough yet to be interesting?

Thanks,
--
Best Regards,
Ray