Re: sched_setaffinity(), RT priorities and migration thread usageat 30%

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 18:15:12 EST

don fisher wrote:
Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is a newbie question. I am attempting to write a real-time simulation of an application we have in house. I have a dual processor SMP system, hyperthreading enabled, running kernel 2.6.7.

The first thread begins at priority 1 (SCHED_RR) and subsequently spawns another time critical task running at priority 2. The initial thread uses setaffinity to set the desired cpu to 2. When the second task begins, the migration thread becomes 30% active (as reported by top) for the duration of its execution. When the priority 2 thread terminates the first thread continues with the migration task consuming only 2% of the CPU.

If there was any change, I was expecting that the higher priority of the second thread would cause it to execute closer to 100% CPU. I built a test code where each thread computes an identical dumb timing loop. The priority 2 thread ends up executing 30% slower than the priority 1 thread due to contention with the migration thread.

Is this the expected behavior, and if so could you please inform me why? I had not anticipated the any attempt by the kernel to shift the process to another CPU, since sched_setafinity had been applied.

OK I'll have to put something in that doesn't class the balancing
attempt as a failure if it encounters tasks that aren't allowed to
be moved.