Re: [NFS] Re: why do i get "Stale NFS file handle" for hours?

From: Greg Banks
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 19:51:55 EST

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 13:01, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> When your server fails to work as per spec, then it is said to be
> "broken" no matter what kernel/nfs-utils combination you are using.
> The spec is that reboots are not supposed to clobber filehandles.
>
> So, there are 3 possibilities:
>
> 1) You are exporting a non-supported filesystem, (e.g. FAT). See the
> FAQ on http://nfs.sourceforge.org.
> 2) A bug in your initscripts is causing the table of exports to be
> clobbered. Running "exportfs" in legacy 2.4 mode (without having the
> nfsd filesystem mounted on /proc/fs/nfsd) appears to be broken for me at
> least...
> 3) There is some other bug in knfsd that nobody else appears to be
> seeing.

4) You're exporting a filesystem mounted on a block device whose
device minor number is dynamic and has changed at the last reboot,
e.g. loopback mounts or SCSI.
5) The mapping of minor numbers is stable but you physically re-arranged
the disks or SCSI cards and changed /etc/fstab correspondingly.

Before you say any more, yes this is broken and fixing it properly is
Hard. This is why have the fsid export option.

Greg.
--
Greg Banks, R&D Software Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
I don't speak for SGI.