Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk12-R5

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 22:18:37 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 02:30, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://krustophenia.net/testresults.php?dataset=2.6.9-rc1-R0#/var/www/2.6.9-rc1-R0/foo.hist

I find the two smaller spikes to either side of the central spike
really odd. These showed up in my jackd tests too, I had attributed
them to some measurement artifact, but they seem real. Maybe a
rounding bug, or some kind of weird cache effect?

interesting - the histograms are pretty symmetric around the center.
E.g. the exponential foo.hist2 diagram is way too symmetric around 50
usecs! What precisely is being measured?

Here's the program. It does mlockall(), acquires realtime scheduling,
then sets up a 2048 Hz stream of interupts from the RTC and measures the
delay. It's quite possible there's a bug, the amlat program did not
seem to work, something must have changed with the RTC from 2.4 to 2.6.

Actually the amlat program works fine for applying real-time scheduling pressure. I believe it just doesn't do any real latency measuring without the hooks provided by Andrew's rtc-debug patch.

kr