Re: sleep and wakeup at microsecond boundary

From: NucleoDyne Systems,
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 00:49:34 EST

Hello,
Let me explain the requirement a little more in detail.

Consider the routine sleep_on_timeout(, timeout) in sched.c:

A timer is started and then schedule() is called. The timer expires
after present jiffies + timeout (in jiffies) period.

On x86 the jiffies is updated every time PIT raises interrupt and
do_timer() is called, i.e. once in every 10ms.

So we can set timeout in multiples of 10ms.

We are developing a very powerful system (not x86 based) with multiple
CPUs, one of them will be running linux and will act as a co-processor
for the other CPUs running different OS.

On the CPU running linux we need to be able to call sleep_on_timeout()
with more granular expiration time, may be in multiples of microseconds.

I already have done the investigation and looking for feedback from the
developers on all possible issues.

Hope this explains.

Thanks,
Kallol Biswas

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 12:51, NucleoDyne Systems, Inc. wrote: \

> Hello,
> We have a requirement to implement the sleep and wakeup mechanism
> at microsecond boundary in 2.4 kernel. The intent of this mail is to
> start a discussion on this topic and collect inputs from the kernel
> developers. Any reply on the issues of implementing such a feature will
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kallol Biswas

NucleoDyne Corporation