Re: swapping and the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 05:58:58 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Hi kernel fellows,

I volunteer. I'll try something tomorrow to compare swappiness of older kernels like 2.6.5 and 2.6.6, which were fine on SGI's Altix tests, up to current newer kernels (on small memory boxes of course).

Hi Marcelo,

Just a suggestion - I'd look at the thrashing control patch first.
I bet that's the cause.

Good point!

I recall one of my users found his workload which often hit swap lightly was swapping much heavier and his performance dropped dramatically until I stopped including the swap thrash control patch. I informed Rik about it some time back so I'm not sure if he addressed it in the meantime.

Cheers,
Con