Re: PROBLEM: Full CPU-usage on sis5513-chipset disc input/output-operations

From: Hendrik Fehr
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 18:24:12 EST

Hello again!

SUMMARY:
I reported that i discover full cpu usage when performing disc i/o on an
sis5513 ide dma chipset. Disabling acpi and io-apic in the kernel and
passing pci=biosirq did not solve the problem.

NEWS:
I think i found it!
I did not noticed that the /proc/stat fields changed between 2.4 and 2.6.
(my monitor util mystiriously couted/added "wating for io" to the sys cpu
time.)
That was what drived me crazy.
Yes, yes i did not check CHANGES file, sorry for the disturbing.

question: is "waiting for io" real cpu time, or can i consider this
time as idle? I was unable to figure this out by myself, sorry.

Best regards,
Hendrik Fehr
PS: german for this is something like: "peinlich peinlich".