Re: multi-domain PCI and sysfs

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 23:28:51 EST

On Tuesday, September 7, 2004 9:16 pm, David S. Miller wrote:
> > A potentially cleaner option which Ben and I would prefer is to use
> > the vga device Jon is creating to do legacy I/O with explicit
> > read/write or ioctl calls.
>
> Definitely. Note that xfree86 already has a signal handler for this
> stuff, ppc generates traps like sparc64 too.

Doing SIGBUS on ia64 was painful, due to the way the CPU chooses to not
generate errors until bad data is actually consumed, but that's the approach
we're taking at the moment. I'd rather have the ioctls though, so I'm glad
you're up for it. My hope is that we can have a unified Linux device access
method in X and get rid of all (or at least most) of the ppc/sparc/ia64/etc.
specific hacks in the tree...

Jesse