From: Christer Weinigel
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 00:49:38 EST

In <413DD5B4.nailC801GI4E2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

>A POSIX.1-conforming cp implementation would not be allowed to copy
>additional streams, unless either additional options are given or the
>type of the file being copied is other than S_IFREG.

I read this as that POSIX mandates that cp can absolutely not copy
anything else but the file contents. That is what I called broken.

If we implement named streams as xattrs and that can be accessed with
openat(..., O_XATTR) this means that cp is allowed to copy the xattrs
(well, named streans don't neccesarily have to be "alternate access
control mechanisms", but they can use the same xattr namespace).

That's quite ok in that case.

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@xxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.weinigel.se